The ´how to´ guide for creating a compelling ROI case
The Business Case Guide - 2nd edition
By Marty Schmidt, ISBN 1-929500-01-7, 254 pages.
PDF Ebook edition US $70
The Standard Source
The complete practical guide to building the case. Assumes no prior background in finance or business planning. Available in eBook (PDF) edition.
- What are the main features of a strong business case?
- What should I do first in my case building project?
- What is management looking for in my business case results?
- What is included in a complete business case?
The latest edition of the Business Case Guide provides clear, practical answers to questions like these and dozens of others. Written with the depth and detail that finance and planning professionals require, the Guide is also rich in practical help and examples for those with little or no background in those areas.
Step by step guidance and examples all the way
The Guide has been recognized as the standard source for those who build the business case since 1999, when the first edition appeared. One reason is its focus on step by step guidance and examples—especially for non financial people building a business case for the first time:
- The case-building project: Making the best use of time and resources.
- Understanding the meaning of ROI, net present value (NPV), total cost of ownership (TCO), and other financial metrics. Choosing the right financial metrics for your case.
- How to project cost and benefit results in cash flow terms. Cash flow statements that score high in credibility with financial specialists.
- Essential components of the business case report.
- How to package and present the report for maximum impact.
Experienced and first-time case builders often struggle with some of the same case building issues. The Guide provides easily implemented solutions for issues like these:
- Measuring the financial value of "soft" benefits
- Minimizing uncertainty and measuring risk
- Handling business case critics
Proven methods and proven benefits
The Guide is a single resource for the same tools, methods, and expertise that we deliver to companies and organizations like ABB, BP, Cisco, Ericsson, IBM, McDonald's, Microsoft, NASA, NSA, Royal Bank of Canada,US Department of Defense, SAP, and others.
The Guide provides a methodology and a framework with proven benefits for case builders and their organizations:
Consistency from case to case means less case building time and effort, and more confidence when results are evaluated.
Non financial professionals have the means for communicating business value to financial specialists.
Competing proposals are compared fairly and evaluated by the same measures.
Business and government requirements for accountability are readily met.
- The number of missed opportunities and costly mistakes is reduced.
About the author, Marty J.Schmidt
President, Solution Matrix Limited.
The Essentials or The Guide?
- Business Case Essentials (103 pages) is a concise, complete introduction to business case analysis for those in private industry, government, or non profit organizations. Essentials focuses on what belongs in a business case and why.
- The Business Case Guide
(254 pages) presents the same proven business case structure and
content, with additional in-depth focus on the case building
process and cost/benefit estimation.
Order both Ebooks online:
Receive a full refund for the Guide when you register for a Solution Matrix seminar!
Instructors and students, write for information on academic prices for all Solution Matrix Limited products.