Design, Build, and Deliver
a Compelling Business Case
Solution Matrix Ltd. Since 1994, the Business Case Authority.
Business case results include cash flow projections and practical guidance for managing actions and investments.
The business case you write and deliver must score high in credibility, accuracy, and practical value.
Reaching those objectives begins by understanding that numbers alone do not make the case. How you design, develop, and write the business case is as important as the return on investment (ROI) and other figures you project.
Welcome to the Business Case Website!
When Must You Write a Business Case?
A solid business case gives decision makers the understanding and confidence they need to take action. You know you need a business case when you meet questions like these:
- Can you support your proposal with a strong a strong cost-benefit analysis? Please "make the case" that funding approval is a good business decision!
- The Project Management Office wants financial justification for all project proposals. What are they looking for?
- How do we measure return on investment ROI for products?
For marketing programs? For professional training?
- The Capital Review Committee requires total cost of ownership analysis for major acquisitions. What does TCO include? How do you write a TCO business case?
Who Creates the Business Case?
Business people facing these questions today know that business case is no longer just a job for Finance in the back office. In the current business climate, case-building responsibility rests squarely on those who propose and those who take action. Product managers, engineers, consultants, project managers, IT directors, line managers, and many others, are learning that meeting business case needs means producing the case themselves.
How Do You Build a Business Case?
You may be facing such questions for the first time and have little or no background in finance and planning. Or, you may have extensive experience in these areas, and still need to get up to speed on what belongs in your case, how to write the business case, and how to package and "make" the case with an effective presentation. For your case building needs, either way, Solution Matrix Limited offers industry leading solutions:
Step by step guidance and time-saving resources including the best selling books, Business Case Essentials and The Business Case Guide, professional grade templates, and spreadsheet software to guide you through the financial math.
Take command of the 6D Case Building Framework™ in a business case seminar.
Earn professional education credit while you learn to design and build your own case:
Drawing on 20+ years of experience with a wide range of industries and business issues, the Solution Matrix 6D Framework™ is recognized as the Business Case standard, by companies and governments worldwide.
For those with immediate decision support and planning needs, we offer the 6D Business Case Solution, a structured case-building project, designed to deliver the highest quality results in the shortest possible time.
Over the last decade we have helped hundreds of individuals and organizations use the 6D Framework to obtain solid, practical answers to questions like these:
- How long before a new ERP system pays for itself?
- How do we put our capital review process into a business case framework?
- Is the business profitable for all partners in the proposed alliance? Are risks and rewards shared equally between partners?
We look forward to hearing from you to discuss your own case building needs.
By Marty Schmidt. Copyright © 2004-2016. Updated 2016-04-27